Wednesday, 8 May 2013

Toronto Restaurant Review: Banh Mi Boys


Holding an impossibly long streak as "the most talked about restaurant in town" on Urbanspoon.com, I'm going to make this post short and sweet as to not bore you with information you probably already know.


Without a doubt, this place deserves it's fantastic reputation. While many people like it for it's affordability and deliciousness, I think the real reason is that it has achieved glory is through what I call the Toronto Foodie Algorithim (still in progress):

Basic Formula
Good Quality Food 
Good Prices (+3)
Good Location (+3)
Good Service (+2)

Supplementary Formula
"Ethnic" (but not poor quality) (+1)
"Authentic" (but still easy to order) (+5)
"Hard to Pronounce Name" (but not too hard) (+1)
"Fusion" (but not a mishmash) (+10)
"Cool vibe" (but not pretentious) (+8)

Where most fusion restaurants fail is by not establishing a proper identity with their flavour profiles or simply, by trying too hard. Banh Mi Boys manages to bring the best out of the classic Vietnamese sandwich by creating a solid list of variations to keep it exciting, but also keeping the ingredients within the ordinary lexicon of the basic foodie to make it accessible. Pulled Pork Tacos and Kalbi Beef Steamed Bao? Can't go wrong with these choices.




Put simply, this was a great idea and we are all grateful for its existence. This place helped me expose my non-Toronto friends to Toronto in a nutshell, gave me the energy burst I needed for a Queen West boutique day, and got me through exams. I am sure I don't need to tell you that you should eat here.

Rating: 5/5

Banh Mi Boys on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...